Book Review: Dragonswood by Janet Lee Carey

★★★★☆ (4/5 stars)


First Impression
I LOVE Janet Lee Carey. I first read Dragon's Keep while I was in Elementary School (or something) and I really really love the way she writes. I thought this was something related to Dragon's Keep, so I picked it up. Oh, and the cover is GORGEOUS. Way better than Dragon's Keep, that's for sure.

What I Liked
No character was PERFECT. THEY WERE ALL FLAWED IN GREAT WAYS. AND REALISTIC WAYS. (Like Meg and Poppy.) Garth (or w/e you want to call him, don't want to spoil anything) was amazing. He was such a kind and caring character, which is kind of cliche but I love his heart! He didn't judge anything by looks and he was still vulnerable, like any other man. Carey didn't write him as the perfect man, which is what I hate about some books.

 Flawed girls with perfect guys? NO THANK YOU. BOYS ARE FLAWED  AS WELL.

I also LOVED LOVED LOVED how Carey wrote everything so OUT there. She didn't make any perfect girls, and Tess was not an exception. Her cauliflowered ear and blackened thumbs weren't healed ~magically~ in anyway, and Tess was totally not cliche.

I loved her resilience against Lady Adela as well. GOD I LOVED THIS!!

What I Didn’t Like
I saw everything a mile away. If you kind of follow the writing, you can tell that Tess isn't going to wed to some normal man. And if you think about Garth's hunting lodge... Well, DUH. I apologize if that spoiled anything!

But I hated how I never realized in the beginning, so that forced me to re-read the whole thing.

One Sentence Review
The characters were beautiful but I saw everything 10 god damn kilometres away.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.