Book Review: For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund


(This is a beautiful cover, by the way.)

★★★☆☆ Rating: 3/5stars

I would have given this a way higher rating if there weren't so many open-ended questions that I was waiting to be answered... but then again, this is a standalone. I was really curious about whether the Posts were actually immune to another Reduction, etc.

I felt that the Posts and Luddites were written extremely well, and their positions, standings, and manners were depicted perfectly in a manner that was easy to understand and relate to. Luddites were the "smart" ones. Posts were inferior, even though they had done nothing to deserve it, and they were no less than the Luddites. 

The post apocalypse world was written pretty well, and realistically. This could also be seen as a warning to us, right? Haha. As if I could find any places that sold exclusively organic food with no genetic modifications without breaking my wallet. How did the Luddites do it?

I felt that the characters were definitely complex but they didn't develop much. I especially loved Ro, and at the end of the book, when Elliot gave her the name Tomorrow, I had shivers going down my back. It was so perfect and symbolic to the novel, and when they boarded the ship, I truly felt hope for their post-apocalyptic world! Everyone was easy to sympathize with and my heart especially broke for Kai and Elliot. What a jerk!

I wanted to punch him for the majority of the novel unfortunately. :l

Anyways. This is a fantastic retelling of Austen's Persuasion and the way Peterfreund kind of "fooled" us by thinking that this was going to be a futuristic tale, we were wrong in a way. It was futuristic, but not in the "advanced technology way."

It was like a rewind into the past... but in the future! And yes, it made sense.
This was a cleverly thought out novel, but I felt that there was room for a lot more development and the ending was too hastily and perfectly tied up. 


I wish there was a sequel because I would DEFINITELY read it!

14 Comments

  • March 20, 2013 at 8:35 p.m. | Permalink

    Nice blog, just looking around some websites, seems a really nice platform you are using. I'm currently using Wordpress for a few of my sites but looking to change one of them over to a platform similar to yours as a trial run.

  • March 22, 2013 at 9:14 p.m. | Permalink

    I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic.

  • March 28, 2013 at 2:19 a.m. | Permalink

    Thank for your writing. I think this give more information which is very popular nowadays.

  • May 10, 2013 at 11:42 p.m. | Permalink

    I agree with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your incoming updates. Just saying thanks will not just be adequate, for the wonderful clarity in your writing.It is imperative that we read blog post very carefully

  • May 11, 2013 at 12:11 a.m. | Permalink

    Thank you for stimulating my brain with this bright and observant post.

  • June 24, 2013 at 1:41 a.m. | Permalink

    Very cool entry and I so satisfied that I have found this useful information. I will definitely bookmark your site and visit this website again in the future. Thanks a lot for posting this valuable info for us. King regards!

  • June 28, 2013 at 6:26 p.m. | Permalink

    Thank you for sharing such a good blog. I enjoyed reading it. Hope to read more post from you.
    Check here

  • June 28, 2013 at 8:06 p.m. | Permalink

    Thanks so much! I hope to be read more articles from you soon.Education jobs

  • June 28, 2013 at 8:17 p.m. | Permalink

    Thank you so much! I will wait for your new article
    nhân viên seo

  • June 29, 2013 at 1:56 a.m. | Permalink

    youtube to mp3 online. I think I will become a great follower.Just want to say your blog is striking. The clarity in your post is simply striking and i can take for granted you are an expert on this subject.

  • July 1, 2013 at 6:41 p.m. | Permalink

    I hope you this website are very popular for providing the great info in this blog. I am very much satisfied by the info in this blog. Thanks a lot for visiting the great website and helpful info in this blog. Top Fuel Turbo Timers

  • July 2, 2013 at 1:01 a.m. | Permalink

    I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.
    Check here

  • July 3, 2013 at 1:09 a.m. | Permalink

    You should share more for people to read. Thank you so much! I will wait for your new article.Teacher network

  • August 15, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Permalink

    I am very happy to be read your share. Have a good time
    water damage restoration san diego

  • Leave a Reply

    Powered by Blogger.